Issues Regarding Family Law
Family law encompasses a wide range of legal issues. Affairs of the heart are obviously very personal, but the law enters the equation when couples sign legal contracts of commitment and responsibility. These laws are designed to protect the rights of individuals as well as those of children that are also part of the family unit.
Located here in Buffalo and also serving the surrounding community, Mattingly Cavagnaro, LLP, is a boutique firm of family law attorneys dedicated to matrimonial law specifically relating to issues regarding marriage, divorce and children. We understand that each legal matter is as unique as the people involved, so we start by listening to the needs and goals of our clients. We then map out a strategy that we believe will achieve or surpass those initial goals.
Family And Matrimonial Law Services We Offer
Our lawyers provide knowledgeable guidance to clients facing the following issues:
- Divorce: There are a number of legal issues addressed in the termination of a marriage.
- Child custody and parenting plans: Custody broadly defines the parental rights and obligations, while parenting plans address the daily care, visitation, holiday schedule and other matters.
- Premarital and post-marital agreements: These can provide a solid financial foundation for couples about to be married, are considering divorce/separation or have complicated finances.
- Property division: We work with clients to determine all marital assets and will sometimes use experts to determine the value of businesses, retirement plans, insurance policies, property, stocks and even art collections.
- Annulments: While divorce terminates a marriage agreement, annulments invalidate the original contract.
- Child support: New York has a formula based on the income of both parents, number of children and other unique family details.
- Alimony or spousal maintenance: Each case is different, so an attorney can argue for awarding temporary or permanent spousal maintenance based on lifestyle, length of the marriage, health of spouse and ability to earn a living.