Buffalo attorney Melissa Cavagnaro's legal practice is focused on assisting individuals facing serious family conflicts including custody issues, disputes over child support, and visitation. Over the last decade she has seen the devastating impact these legal proceedings can have on families, and she works with each client to minimize the impact while achieving favorable results.
Ms. Cavagnaro has successfully represented clients in legal matters before both Family Court and the New York State Supreme Court.
In addition to assisting her clients resolve legal disputes involving custody, visitation, and child support in Family Court, Ms. Cavagnaro has valuable experience serving as a court-appointed attorney for children.
In State Supreme Court, she serves clients in matters including divorce, post-judgment enforcement (including custody, child support, maintenance, and equitable distribution), and post-judgment modification and enforcement (including child support, custody, and maintenance).
No matter what the legal issue her client is facing, Ms. Cavagnaro takes time to understand the unique circumstances of each situation and work with her client to develop a legal strategy best suited to meet her client's goals and objectives.
Areas Of Practice
- Family Law
- New York
- State University of New York, Buffalo School of Law, Buffalo, New York
- J.D. - 2005
- Alfred University
- B.S. - 2002
- Alfred University
- B.A. - 2002
- Bar Association of Erie County Speakers Bureau
- The New No Fault Divorce, Presenter, 2011 to 2011
- Bankruptcy and Matrimonial Law, Presenter
- Advanced Matrimonial Law, Presenter, 2013 to 2013
- Basics of Matrimonial Law Practice, Presenter, 2017
Honors and Awards
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars in the New York Super Lawyers, Upstate Edition
- New York Super Lawyer, Upstate Edition
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Practice and Procedure in Family Court Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Matrimonial and Family Law Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Young Lawyers' Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Women Lawyers of Western New York, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County Speakers Bureau, Speaker
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Executive Committee
- Member, Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME)