Melissa A. Cavagnaro
- Family Law
- Matrimonial Law
Buffalo attorney Melissa Cavagnaro's legal practice is focused on assisting individuals facing serious family conflicts including custody issues, disputes over child support, and visitation. Over the last decade she has seen the devastating impact these legal proceedings can have on families, and she works with each client to minimize the impact while achieving favorable results.
Ms. Cavagnaro has successfully represented clients in legal matters before both Family Court and the New York State Supreme Court.
In addition to assisting her clients resolve legal disputes involving custody, visitation, and child support in Family Court, Ms. Cavagnaro has valuable experience serving as a court-appointed attorney for children.
In State Supreme Court, she serves clients in matters including divorce, post-judgment enforcement (including custody, child support, maintenance, and equitable distribution), and post-judgment modification and enforcement (including child support, custody, and maintenance).
No matter what the legal issue her client is facing, Ms. Cavagnaro takes time to understand the unique circumstances of each situation and work with her client to develop a legal strategy best suited to meet her client's goals and objectives.
- State University of New York, Buffalo School of Law, Buffalo, New York
- J.D. - 2005
- Alfred University
- B.S. - 2002
- Major: Business Administration
- Alfred University
- B.A. - 2002
- Major: Communication Studies
- New York
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Practice and Procedure in Family Court Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Matrimonial and Family Law Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Young Lawyers' Committee, Bar Association of Erie County, Member
- Women Lawyers of Western New York, Member
- Bar Association of Erie County Speakers Bureau, Speaker
- New York State Bar Association, Family Law Section, Executive Committee
Current Employment Position
- Super Lawyers Rising Stars in the New York Super Lawyers, Upstate Edition, 2014 - 2015
- New York Super Lawyer, Upstate Edition, 2016 - 2017
Classes & Seminars
- Bar Association of Erie County Speakers Bureau
- The New No Fault Divorce, Presenter, 2011
- Bankruptcy and Matrimonial Law, Presenter
- Advanced Matrimonial Law, Presenter, 2013
- Basics of Matrimonial Law Practice, Presenter, 2017
- Member, Housing Opportunities Made Equal (HOME)